Technische Universität Wien
> Zum Inhalt

Will I have language requirement?

At TU Wien the language of instruction is German. In order to be admitted to a degree programme in Austria you have to prove sufficient knowledge of German.

Which certificates are accepted?

From winter semester 2018/19

For admission to a German taught study programme you have to provide proof of German language skills at the Level C1 or higher of the Common European Framework Reference for Languages.

NOTE! Persons, who received an admission letter with the supplymentary examination "German" before winter semester 2018/19 but did not enrol at TU Wien until summer semester 2018 (deadline 30.4.2018) also have to provide proof of German language skills at the Level C1 or higher.

When applying for admission the following certificates are accepted as evidence of proficiency in German:

The following types of proof are valid for an unlimited time:

  • School-leaving certificate from a School where the language of instruction is German and all exams are carried out in German. This applies also for Austrian or German schools abroad.
  • Graduation from a study Programme of at least 3 years Duration at a University where the teaching language is German.
  • Passing of the supplementary exam German (Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch) at a University Preparation Programme from an Austrian University.

The following certificates are accepted for a periode of three years beginning with the examination date:

  • Österreichisches Sprachdiplom - ÖSD Zertifikat C1 (bisher: C1 Oberstufe Deutsch).
  • Goethe Institut - Goethe Zertifikat C1.
  • telc Deutsch "C1 Hochschule".
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer StudienwerberInnen DSH2.
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz DSD II - C1.
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (Test DaF), mindestens Niveau TDN 4 in allen Teilen.
  • Sprachenzentrum der Universität Wien - Kurs und erfolgreich abgelegte Prüfung auf dem Niveau C1/2.

Older certificates will not be accepted. A new examination has to be done.

What happens if you cannot prove any knowledge of German?

In this case the successful completion of the supplementary examination in German is prescribed in the admission letter. This examination must be passed prior to admission as a degree student.

You have the possibility to attend German courses to prepare for the supplementary examination and take the examination in German at the University Preparation Programme of Vienna Universities "Vorstudienlehrgang der Wiener Universitäten". Therefore you first be admitted as non-degree student for the University Preparation Programme of Vienna Universities.

After successful completion of the exam, you will be admitted as degree programme Student at TU Wien.

NOTE!! After registration to the courses of the University Preparation Programme and admission as non-degree student at TU Wien, proof of the prescribed supplementary examination German is exclusively the certifcate of the University Preparation Programme "Vorstudienlehrgang der Wiener Universitäten".

It is not possible to quit the Preperation Programme and pass the German examination elsewhere (e.g. ÖSD certificate). In this case, the certificate is not accepted by TU Wien and it can lead to the loss of your student visa.

You find all relevant information about the University Preparation Programme (tuition fee, registration period etc.) at the homepage of the "Vorstudienlehrgang".