Technische Universität Wien
> Zum Inhalt

The main fonds of the Archives of TU Wien are the records of the university’s central administration since the foundation of the Vienna Polytechnical Institute in 1815. During the first decades of its existence record keeping was the responsibility of the Director’s or the Rector’s Office. In the course of time this led to serious shortcomings, above all the loss of documents from the second half of the 19th century which were destroyed by the administration.

In 1976 Dr. A. Lechner, assistant at the Faculty of Architecture and Regional Planning, was put in charge of the care and custody of the University’s archival heritage. In 1979 the University Archives were established as a separate unit of the administration and Dr. Lechner appointed as head. He served in this function until 1992, when he was followed by Dipl.-Ing. E. Jiresch. From 2001 to 2015 Dr. J. Mikoletzky was head of the University Archives. 2016 Dr. P. Ebner was appointed as her successor.

It was only in 1988 that the Archives could move into their own premises. Since then they are able to store and preserve the fonds properly and to receive internal and external users in an adequate setting.